New England Boiled Dinner
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds corned beef brisket
- 3 tablespoons pickling spices, 3 bay leaves and 5 black peppercorns, tied in a cheesecloth bag
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 3 carrots, each cut into 4 pieces
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 parsnips, cut into chunks
- 2 turnips, cut into chunks
- 1 small cabbage, cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Horseradish cream:
- 1 cup sour cream
- Up to 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
In a large pot combine the meat, the spice bag and enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 2 hours. Add vegetables and salt and return to a simmer. Continue to simmer until fork-tender, 30 minutes to 1 hour longer.
For the Horseradish Cream: In a small bowl combine sour cream and horseradish; season, to taste, with salt, pepper and hot sauce.
To finish, remove corned beef to a carving board and slice against the grain. Transfer to a large, warmed, deep platter. Drain broth and reserve for soup, if desired. Arrange vegetables around meat and serve. Pass the horseradish cream for guests to help themselves.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Trout Amandine, Steamed Asparagus, and New Potatoes, Mixed Grilled: 3 New Takes on an Old Favorite, Smashed New Potatoes with Peas, Lemon, and Pearl Onions, Smoked Pork Recipes, Easy Main Dish, Burrito Recipes, Baked Ham Recipes, Stuffed Chicken Breast Recipes, Beef Stroganoff Recipes