Nola's Boudin with Smothered Onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boudin, cut into 4 (4 ounce) links
- 1 cup onions, julienne
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cans Dixie Beer or your favorite beer
- 1/4 cup Creole mustard
- 4 bread croutons, cut into triangles, 3" by 1/2", warm
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons brunoise red peppers
- 2 tablespoons brunoise yellow peppers
In a saute pan, heat the olive oil. When the pan is smoking hot, add the boudan. Sear the links on both sides for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the onions shallots, and garlic. Saute the vegetables until lightly caramelized, about 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the Dixie beer and Creole mustard. Bring up to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover the pan. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the mixture has reduced to a sauce consistency.
Remove the croutons from the oven. To assemble, place the croutons in the center of the platter. Set the boudan directly on top of the croutons and spoon the sauce directly over the top. Garnish with green onion, red and yellow peppers.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse