Orange and Rum Poached Pineapples with Vanilla Yogurt
- 1 pineapple, skin, eyes and blemishes removed
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1/2 cup non-fat vanilla yogurt
- 2 tablespoons coconut liqueur
- 2 tablespoons toasted, shredded coconut
- 4 sprigs mint, for garnish
Cut the pineapple crosswise into 3/4-inch rounds (there should be 8 slices), and remove the core. In a large nonstick saute skillet, combine the orange juice, lemon juice, sugar, vanilla bean, and vanilla seeds. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. When the sugar is dissolved, add the pineapple slices and cover. Cook 1 minute, then reduce the heat to low. Continue to cook for 4 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and add the rum. Return to the heat and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, remove the pineapple from the pan and place in a large bowl. Place the pan over medium heat, cook until reduced and thick, 5 to 7 minutes. Pour the syrup over the pineapple and refrigerate for 2 hours.
To serve, remove the vanilla bean from the bowl. Divide the pineapple slices and syrup between 4 small bowls. Top with a dollop of vanilla yogurt and sprinkle with toasted coconut. Garnish with the mint and serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.