- 2 cups olive oil
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme leaves
- 2 organic chickens (3 to 3 1/2 pounds each)
- 2 tablespoons Emeril's Original Essence, recipe follows
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 4 bricks, wrapped in aluminum foil
Place the chickens on a cutting board. With a boning knife, cut along the backbone and remove. Place the chickens breast side down and using the heel of your hand, push down to break the breastbone and flatten. Tuck the wing tips behind the joint of the wing that meets the breast.
Place chickens in a 1-gallon resealable plastic bag and add the marinade. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 6 hours, turning occasionally to evenly coat.
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F, wrap 4 bricks with aluminum foil and preheat the bricks for 20 minutes. (Alternately, heat the bricks on the grill for 20 minutes.)
Preheat a grill to medium heat.
Remove the chickens from the marinade and season on both sides with the Essence, salt and pepper. Place the chickens, skin side down, on the grill. Place 2 bricks on each chicken to cover completely and flatten. Cook for 6 minutes, turn 90 degrees and cook, for 6 minutes to get good grill marks.
Remove the bricks and turn the birds. Cook on the second side for 4 minutes, then turn 90 degrees and cook for an additional 4 minutes. Remove from the grill, transfer to a roasting pan and place in the oven for 5 minutes, or until the chicken is just cooked through. Remove from the oven, place on a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut each bird in half lengthwise. Adjust the seasoning, to taste, and serve while hot.
Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup