Oven-Fried Potato and Sweet Potato Chips with Creamy Oven-Cooked Bacon Dip
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 (6 to 8-ounce)medium Idaho potato
- 1 (6 to 8-ounce) medium sweet potato, peeled
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
- 1 teaspoon very finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon very finely grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Creamy Oven-Cooked Bacon Dip, recipe follows
- Creamy Oven-Cooked Bacon Dip:
- 8 slices bacon
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Hot pepper sauce, to taste
Using a mandoline slicer, or heavy, sharp knife, cut the potatoes and sweet potatoes as thinly as possible. On 1 baking sheet, arrange the cut potatoes in 1 layer. On the second sheet, arrange the cut sweet potatoes in 1 layer. With a pastry brush, lightly coat the top side of both potatoes with the olive oil. Bake until golden and crisp, rotating the pans halfway through the cooking time, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven.
While the potatoes are cooking, In a small bowl, combine the salt, rosemary, lemon zest, and black pepper.
In another bowl, combine the cinnamon, orange zest, sugar, nutmeg, and ginger.
Remove the potatoes from the oven and transfer to paper towels. While still warm, sprinkle the potatoes with the lemon salt mixture, and the sweet potatoes with the cinnamon mixture. Serve warm or at room temperature with the Creamy Oven Cooked Bacon Dip.Creamy Oven-Cooked Bacon Dip:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Arrange the bacon in a layer on a broiler rack set over the broiler pan. Bake until crisp and brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and drain on paper towels. When cool enough to handle, crumble or chop into small pieces.
In a bowl, cream together the remaining ingredients. Add the crumbled bacon and mix. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
Serve with the oven baked potato chips.
Yield: about 1 1/2 cups