Oven Roasted Garlic
- 4 heads garlic, stem end trimmed by 1/2-inch
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons chicken stock or water
- French bread, accompaniment
- Chopped parsley leaves, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
Rub the garlic with the olive oil and place the heads, cut-side up, in a small saute pan or baking dish that's just large enough to hold the garlic comfortably. Season the garlic with the salt and pepper and add the stock/water to the saute pan. Place the saute pan in the oven and roast for about 30 minutes, or until the garlic is golden brown on the top and the cloves can be pierced easily with the tip of a sharp paring knife. Remove the chafing dish from the oven and allow the garlic to cool. When the garlic is cool enough to handle, squeeze the roasted garlic out from the skins. Serve with slices of French bread and garnish with chopped parsley.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2003