- 8 ounces dried rice noodle sticks
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 pound peeled and de-veined raw shrimp, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 pound ground pork
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 2 cups sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted unsalted peanuts
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
In a large bowl, combine the noodles with water to cover. Soak until just tender, about 45 minutes, then drain.
In a small bowl, combine the fish sauce, vinegar, and sugar, and stir until the sugar dissolves. Set aside. Season the shrimp and pork with cayenne.
In a wok or large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the shrimp and pork and cook until the shrimp are just cooked through and the pork is brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
Add the eggs and cook, stirring, until just set, about 45 seconds. Add the sprouts, onions, fish sauce mixture, and noodles, and cook, stirring, until warmed through. Add the shrimp and pork, and peanuts, and cook for 30 seconds. Transfer to a serving platter and toss with the cilantro and lime juice. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2001