Pan Fried Catfish with Lemon and Garlic
- 4 (6 to 6 1/2- ounce) catfish fillets
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons Essence or other seasoning salt, recipe follows
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley leaves, plus chopped parsley for garnish
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all- purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Lemon wedges, for serving
Place the catfish in a shallow bowl or baking dish. Season the fillets with 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of the Essence. Add the lemon juice, parsley, and garlic. Turn the catfish several times to coat evenly. Allow mixture to stand at room temperature for up to 10 minutes.
Heat the oil in a large, deep, cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the catfish, in batches, and fry until golden brown on both sides, turning once, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
Remove catfish from the skillet with a slotted spatula and drain on paper-towels. Season with salt and serve immediately with additional parsley and lemon wedges.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2005