Pan-Fried Flounder with Dilled Tartar Sauce
- 8 (4-ounce) flounder fillets
- 1 tablespoon Essence, plus 2 teaspoons, recipe follows
- 1 cup instant flour
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups clarified butter
- Dilled Tartar Sauce, recipe follows
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Dilled Tartar Sauce:
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- Pinch sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated white onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon pickle relish
Lightly season the fillets on both sides with 2 teaspoons Essence.
In a shallow bowl, combine the instant flour and remaining tablespoon of Essence. One at a time, dredge the fish in the flour to coat both sides, shaking to remove any excess.
Over medium-high heat, warm enough clarified butter to come 1/2-inch up the sides of a large, deep saute pan or skillet to 350 degrees F. Add the fish in batches and cook for 2 minutes on the first side. Carefully turn with a spatula and cook until golden and cooked through, 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Add additional clarified butter, as needed, for the remaining fish.
Arrange 2 fillets on each of 4 dinner plates and serve with the Dilled Tartar Sauce.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.Dilled Tartar Sauce:
In a medium bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, salt, cayenne, and sugar, and mix well. Fold in the onions, dill, and pickle relish. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Yield: about 1 cup
More Recipes and Ideas:
Roasted Flounder Stuffed with a Shrimp and Cornbread Dressing, Flounder, Red Pepper Cream, and Asparagus Risotto, Pan-Fried Trout with Black-Eyed Pea Salad, Smoked Pork Recipes, Easy Main Dish, Burrito Recipes, Baked Ham Recipes, Stuffed Chicken Breast Recipes, Beef Stroganoff Recipes