Pan-Seared Salmon with Black Bean Relish
- 4 cups cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cooked corn kernels, cut from the cob
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced or 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely minced
- 1/2 bunch scallions, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 (6 ounce) salmon fillet pieces
- 1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
In a large bowl combine first 9 ingredients and stir to mix well. Season the black bean relish with salt and pepper, and set aside at least 1/2 hour before serving with salmon. Finish the black bean relish with the chopped cilantro.
Season salmon steaks with salt and pepper and dust with Essence.
Heat 1 large or 2 small skillets over high heat, add oil and sear salmon 2 to 3 minutes on each side for medium rare. Serve with the black bean relish.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from New New Orleans Cooking, by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Cedar Plank Salmon Parmesan with Asian Reduction Sauce over Sauteed Julienned Vegetables, Seared Salmon with Pickled Watermelon Salad, Potato Encrusted Stuffed Salmon with Lemon White Wine Sauce, Easy Main Dish, Enchilada Recipes, Salmon Mousse Recipes, Salmon Recipes, Cornish Hen Recipes, Beef Tenderloin Recipes