- 4 cups cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cooked corn kernels, cut from the cob
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced or 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely minced
- 1/2 bunch scallions, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 (6 ounce) salmon fillet pieces
- 1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
In a large bowl combine first 9 ingredients and stir to mix well. Season the black bean relish with salt and pepper, and set aside at least 1/2 hour before serving with salmon. Finish the black bean relish with the chopped cilantro.
Season salmon steaks with salt and pepper and dust with Essence.
Heat 1 large or 2 small skillets over high heat, add oil and sear salmon 2 to 3 minutes on each side for medium rare. Serve with the black bean relish.
Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from New New Orleans Cooking, by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.