Panko-Dusted Soft Shell Crabs with Spicy Mayonnaise Drizzle
- Total Time:
- 36 min
- 20 min
- 16 min
- 4 appetizer servings or 2 main course servings
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, preferably homemade
- 2 tablespoons ground chili paste (recommended: Sambal Oelek)
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon soy sauce
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Essence, plus more for garnishing
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 4 large soft shell crabs, cleaned
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal, for garnishing
Heat at least 4 inches of oil in a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven or a deep-fryer to 350 degrees F.
Combine the flour and half of the Essence in a shallow bowl. Stir to blend well. In another shallow bowl whisk the eggs and milk together with the remaining Essence. Place the panko in a third shallow bowl.
Dredge each crab first in the flour, shaking to remove any excess, then in the egg wash, and finally in the panko. Set aside on a plate while you prepare the remaining crabs.
When the oil has reached the desired temperature, fry the crabs, 1 at a time, until golden brown and crispy on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to paper towels to drain while you fry the remaining crabs.
Drizzle about 2 tablespoons of the Spicy Mayonnaise around the perimeter of each of 4 dinner plates and top each plate with a crab. Garnish with the scallions and a little extra Essence around the edge of the plate. Serve immediately.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Grilled Soft-shell Crabs with a Mango Avocado Salsa, Fried Soft-Shell Crabs with a Shellfish Ragu, Grilled Soft-Shell Crabs with Watercress, Avocado, and Mango Salad with Grapefruit Vinaigrette, Christmas Appetizer Recipes, Cheese Ball Recipes, Southern, Salmon Mousse Recipes, Deviled Egg Recipes, Crab Salad Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.