Panzanella (Tuscan Bread and Tomato Salad)
- 4 large vine ripened tomatoes, cut into large cubes or wedges
- 1/2 pound stale country-style Italian bread, crusts removed and cubed (about 8 cups)
- 1 1/4 cups thinly sliced red onions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup Italian extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch fresh basil, stems removed, washed and spun dry, turn into pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, bread, and onions.
In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic, vinegar and oil. Pour the dressing over the bread salad and let sit for 30 minutes at room temperature. Add the basil and salt and pepper, to taste, and toss to combine. Serve.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2003
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay