Parmesan Vegetable Fritters
- 1/2 head cauliflower (about 1 pound), cut into flowerets and blanched in salted water until tender
- 1/2 bunch broccoli (about 1/2 pound), cut into flowerets and blanched in salted water until tender
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed, cored, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch wedges, and blanched in salted water until tender
- 2 teaspoons Essence, recipe follows
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk, beaten together
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/3 pound minced prosciutto
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Pat dry the vegetables and place on a baking sheet. Season lightly with the Essence. Put the water in a medium bowl. Little by little, using a fork, gradually beat the flour into the water. Add 1/2 cup of the grated Parmesan and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and stir well to combine. Add the beaten egg and egg yolk and mix well.
In a large heavy skillet, heat enough oil to come 1/4-inch up the sides of the pan to 350 degrees F. In batches, lightly coat the vegetables in the batter. Carefully transfer to the hot oil and fry, turning to brown evenly, being careful not to add too many pieces at once.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from New New Orleans Cooking, by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.