- 2 pounds parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup dried bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons Essence, recipe follows
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup vegetable oil, for pan-frying
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Smoked Trout, Apple, and Horseradish Cream, recipe follows
Place the parsnips in a pot, with enough water to cover by 1-inch. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher with the cream, butter, salt, and pepper. Let sit until cool enough to handle. Form into small cakes, about 3 inches in diameter and 1-inch high.
In a shallow bowl, combine the breadcrumbs with the Essence. Heat 1/4 cup of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Brush the cakes on both sides with the beaten egg and dip into the breadcrumbs. In batches, pan-fry the cakes in the hot oil until golden brown on both sides, adding more oil as needed.
Remove from the pan and serve immediately with the Smoked Trout, Apple and Horseradish Cream.
Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Smoked Trout, Apple, and Horseradish Cream:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch cayenne
- 1 Gala apple, cored, and finely chopped
- 8 ounces smoked trout, bones and skin removed, and coarsely flaked