- 1/2 cup cubed carrots
- 1/2 cup asparagus, sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound orecchiette pasta or other pasta
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup cubed zucchini
- 1 cup cubed yellow squash
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, optional garnish
Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
As the pasta water is heating, bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Add the carrots and asparagus to the small saucepan and blanch for 2 minutes. Using oven mitts or pot holders, remove the small saucepan from the heat and pour the carrots and asparagus away from you into a colander set in the sink. Rinse under cold running water to refresh.
While cooking the vegetables, add the pasta and 1 tablespoon of the salt to the large pot of boiling water. Return to a boil and cook the pasta until al dente, stirring occasionally, about 12 to 15 minutes. Turn the stove off, and with a small ladle, transfer 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid to a small cup and set aside. Using oven mitts or pot holders, drain the rest of the pot away from you into a colander set in the sink. Place the pasta in a large bowl with the 1/4 cup cooking liquid and cover with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel to keep warm.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter and, when hot, add the olive oil.
Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the zucchini and squash, and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the cooked carrots and asparagus, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomato, peas, the remaining teaspoon of salt, and the pepper. Stir and remove from the heat.