Pasta with Chickpeas and Spinach
- 1 pound fusilli or penne
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups chopped red bell peppers
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 cups vegetable stock, or canned vegetable broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 8 ounces fresh baby spinach, rinsed well and stems removed
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 cup cubed mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated asiago
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain well.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the bell peppers and onions, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, and cook for 1 minute. Add the wine and stir to deglaze the pan. Add the vegetable stock and chickpeas and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the chickpeas are tender, about 5 minutes, and almost all the broth is gone. Crush the peas lightly with the back of a spoon against the side of the pot. Add the spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the cooked pasta and toss well to coat. Adjust seasoning, to taste. Add the extra-virgin olive oil, cream, and cheeses, and toss to combine.
Divide the pasta among serving plates and serve immediately.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.