- 2 cups roasted pecans
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 eggs beaten, plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 8 (2-ounce) slices of fresh mozzarella
- Salt and white pepper
- 1 cup plus, 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, julienne
- 1 medium red onion, julienne
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 8 cups fresh spinach, stemmed and cleaned
- Black pepper
In a food processor, puree the pecans until smooth. Add enough flour to bind the pecans and form a crust, about 1/2-cup. Season the crust with essence. Season the remaining flour with essence. Season both sides of mozzarella cheese with salt and pepper. Dredge each slice of cheese in the flour. Dip each slice in the egg wash, removing any excess. Dredge the slices in the pecan crust, covering the entire slice completely. Set the cheese aside.
In a sauce pan, heat a tablespoon of the olive oil. When the oil is hot, saute the onions until they caramelize, about 8 minutes. Add the shallots and garlic. Whisk in the olive oil and vinegar. Stir in the honey to taste. Bring the dressing up to a simmer. Season with salt and black pepper. In a saute pan, heat the remaining olive oil. When the oil is hot, pan-fry the cheese for 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until the crust is golden.
Remove from the oil and drain on a paper-lined plate. Season with essence. Toss the spinach with the dressing and mound in the center of the plate. Arrange the cheese around the greens. Garnish with black pepper around the rim.
Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup