Pecan Waffles with Dried Fruit Compote
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup ground pecans, plus more for garnish
- 1/3 sugar
- 1 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Dried Fruit Compote, recipe follows
- Whipped cream, for serving
- Maple syrup, for serving, optional
- Dried Fruit Compote:
- 2 pounds mixed dried fruit (Any combination of dried fruits is delicious. Try figs, apricots, cherries, cranberries, apples, prunes, or blueberries.)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup cognac
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 vanilla bean, split
In a mixing bowl combine flour, ground pecans, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl beat the eggs and vanilla slightly. Whisk the milk and butter into the egg mixture. Whisk the flour mixture into the egg mixture. Stir until combined yet still slightly lumpy. Pour 3/4 cup batter onto grids of a preheated, lightly greased waffle iron. Close lid quickly: do not open during baking. Bake according to the manufacturer's directions for the waffle iron, until golden brown and lightly crisp, about 5 to 5 1/2 minutes.
Serve hot waffles with Dried Fruit Compote, whipped cream, and if desired, maple syrup. Garnish with extra ground pecans.Dried Fruit Compote:
Place the dried fruits in a large bowl and cover with 2 cups of boiling water. Let the fruit sit for about 1 hour, then drain. Place the fruit in a medium saucepan with the remaining ingredients, making sure the vanilla bean pod is scraped and the pod and seeds are added to the mixture. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and allow mixture to simmer gently for 50 minutes to 1 hour. The fruit should be tender but not falling apart. Add more sugar or orange juice, to taste, if needed. Remove and discard the cinnamon stick and vanilla bean pod.
Refrigerate the compote in its syrup overnight before serving. Serve the compote chilled, with hot Pecan Waffles.
Yield: about 6 cups
Thank you! your flag was submitted.