Pistachio and Pine Nut Crusted Rack of Venison with Wild Mushroom and Bacon Bread Pudding and a Cherry-Sage Reduction Sauce
- 4 racks of venison (4 bones each, about 16 to 18 ounces), bones Frenched
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Essence plus 1/2 teaspoon, recipe follows
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup toasted and ground pine nuts
- 1/4 cup toasted and ground pistachios
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- Wild Mushroom and Bacon Bread Pudding, recipe follows
- Cherry-Sage Reduction Sauce, recipe follows
- Fresh sage leaves or chopped parsley, for garnish
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Wild Mushroom and Bacon Bread Pudding:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces thick-cut bacon, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 ounces wild and exotic mushrooms, 1/2-inch diced
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups day-old French bread, cubed into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
- Cherry-Sage Reduction:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1 1/2 cups veal stock
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cold unsalted butter
- Sage or chopped parsley leaves, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Season the venison with the salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon of the Essence. Place a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil to the pan and once the pan is hot, sear the venison on the bone side for 1 minute, and use tongs to sear each of the other sides and ends for 1 minute each. Remove racks from the pan and allow to cool completely.
In a medium bowl combine the pine nuts, pistachios, bread crumbs, 1/2 teaspoon of Essence and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Toss well.
Once the ribs are cool enough to handle, rub the racks with the mustard, using about 1 1/2 tablespoons of mustard per rack. Dredge each rack into the bread crumb mixture to evenly coat. Place the racks in a skillet and roast in the oven 15 to 20 minutes or an instant read thermometer inserted into its center registers 140 degrees F for medium-rare.
To serve the dish, cut the bread pudding into squares. Place a portion of the bread pudding in the center of a warmed entree plate. Slice the venison racks into 4 chops each and place around the bread pudding. Spoon 1/4 cup of the sauce around the plate and garnish with fresh sage leaves or chopped parsley.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from New New Orleans Cooking, by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.Wild Mushroom and Bacon Bread Pudding:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 7 by 11inch casserole dish with the butter and set aside.
Place a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add the olive oil and the bacon to the pan and cook, stirring often, until most of the fat is rendered and the bacon is browned and crispy, about 8 minutes. Remove the bacon from the pan to drain on paper towels. Add the onions to the pan and saute until translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic, mushrooms and thyme and cook until the mushrooms have wilted, and most of the liquid has been reduced, about 10 to 12 minutes. Season the mushrooms lightly with salt and pepper. Remove the pan from the heat, and place the mushrooms in a large bowl. Allow the mushrooms to cool completely, and then add the bread.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the cream, milk, and eggs and 1/4 cup of the cheese. Season the mixture with the Essence, the salt, and pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the bread and mushrooms. Fold in the crispy bacon and allow mixture to sit for at least 30 minutes, and up to 2 hours. Once the bread has absorbed most of the custard, pour into the prepared casserole dish and sprinkle the top with the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan. Bake until golden brown and set in the center, about 35 to 40 minutes.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Inactive Prep Time: 30 minutesCherry-Sage Reduction:
Place a 10-inch skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil to the pan. Once the oil is hot, add the shallots and garlic to the pan. Cook, stirring often until the shallots are translucent, about 1 minute. Deglaze the pan with the red wine and raise the heat to medium-high. Add the sage and cherries to the pan and continue to cook the wine until it is reduced to about 2 tablespoons, about 3 minutes. Add the stock to the pan and bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until reduced to 1 cup, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and swirl in the cold butter. Serve immediately or cover to keep warm until ready to serve.
Yield: 1 cup
More Recipes and Ideas:
Pistachio Crusted Rack of Venison with a Cranberry, Black Pepper and Sage Reduction Sauce, Pistachio Crusted Rack of Lamb with Goat's Cheese Mashed Potatoes and Peasant Style Sauce, Crusted Rack of Lamb with Jus and Baby Carrot and Asparagus, Easy Roasting Recipes, Roasting Recipes, Brined Turkey Recipes, Venison