Pork and Clams
- 6 medium cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon Spanish paprika
- 1 cup Portuguese or good olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds bones pork loin, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup small diced onions
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 100 cockles or small littleneck clams in the shell, scrubbed and purged
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 loaf crusty bread
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
In a small food processor, combine garlic, salt, pepper flakes and paprika. Process until smooth. Add 1/2 cup of the oil and process until smooth. In a glass mixing bowl, toss the meat with the pureed mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator, marinate at least 8 hours, overnight is preferred. In a cataplana (or a large saute pan with a lid), over medium heat, add the remaining 1/2 cup of oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions. Season with salt. Saute for 2 minutes. Add the pork and saute for 4 minutes. Add the wine and bring to a simmer. Add the clams, and season with salt. Cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, turning the pan over occasionally. Remove from the heat and leave covered for 5 minutes. Remove any shells that do not open. Stir in the parsley. Serve in individual serving bowls with crusty bread.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.