Pork Chops and Sweet Potato Gravy
- 4 thick pork chops, 6 to 8 ounces each
- 2 teaspoons Essence, recipe follows
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, baked, peeled and mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons Steen's 100 percent Pure Cane Syrup
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Season the pork chops with the rub. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown the chops, about 5 minutes on each side. Transfer the chops to a warm platter and set aside.
Reduce the heat to medium. Add the flour and, stirring constantly, cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the roux is chocolate brown. Add the onions and water and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until wilted. Add the pecans, water, salt, and cayenne and mix well. Bring to a boil. Add the sweet potatoes and blend to make a smooth mixture. Stir in the syrup and green onions. Return the pork chops to the pan, reduce the heat and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes, basting the chops with the gravy.
Serve immediately.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from New New Orleans Cooking by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Chili Marinated Double-Cut Pork Chops, Smoked Oyster Dressing Stuffed Pork Chops with Andouille Hollandaise and Smothered Greens, Pork, Potato and Goat Cheese Skewers with Smoked Paprika, Stuffed Pork Chops Recipes, Grilled Pork Chop Recipes, Easy Dinner, Dinner Recipes, Latin American, Baked Ham Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.