Pork Chops and Sweet Potato Gravy
- 4 thick pork chops, 6 to 8 ounces each
- 2 teaspoons Essence, recipe follows
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, baked, peeled and mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons Steen's 100 percent Pure Cane Syrup
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Season the pork chops with the rub. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown the chops, about 5 minutes on each side. Transfer the chops to a warm platter and set aside.
Reduce the heat to medium. Add the flour and, stirring constantly, cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the roux is chocolate brown. Add the onions and water and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until wilted. Add the pecans, water, salt, and cayenne and mix well. Bring to a boil. Add the sweet potatoes and blend to make a smooth mixture. Stir in the syrup and green onions. Return the pork chops to the pan, reduce the heat and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes, basting the chops with the gravy.
Serve immediately.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from New New Orleans Cooking by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2004
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse