Pork Chops with Sweet Potato Gravy
- 4 thick pork chops, 6 to 8-ounces each
- 2 teaspoons Essence, recipe follows
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, baked, peeled, and mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons pure cane syrup, such as Steen's 100 percent Pure Cane Syrup
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Chopped parsley leaves, for garnish
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Season the pork chops with the Essence.
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chops and cook until brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer the chops to a warm platter and cover to keep warm.
Reduce the heat to medium. Add the flour and, stirring constantly, cook until the roux is dark brown, the color of chocolate, about 3 minutes. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until wilted. Add the pecans, water, salt, and cayenne and mix well. Bring to a boil. Add the sweet potatoes and blend to make a smooth mixture. Stir in the syrup and green onions. Return the pork chops to the pan, reduce the heat, and simmer until the pork is cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes, basting the chops with the gravy.
Remove from the heat and serve immediately. Garnish with parsley.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Grilled Pork Chops with Long Hots and Yellow Bell Peppers, Zingara (Pork Chops with Peppers and Capers), Smoked Oyster Dressing Stuffed Pork Chops with Andouille Hollandaise and Smothered Greens, Stuffed Pork Chops Recipes, Grilled Pork Chop Recipes, Pork Butt Recipes, Pork Recipes, Pork Chop Recipes, Nuts
Thank you! your flag was submitted.