- 1/2 cup curry paste (recipe follows)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 pound pork, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons canola or neutral vegetable oil
- 1 cup peeled, seeded and diced tomato (tomato concasse)
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, for garnish
In a glass baking dish or nonreactive mixing bowl combine curry paste with garlic and half of onion. Add pork, turn to coat thoroughly and set aside to marinate for 30 minutes. Heat oil in a large skillet over low heat and gently saute remaining onion. Drain pork, reserving marinade. Turn up heat and add pork, a few cubes at a time, tossing until browned on all sides. Saute for 5 minutes, then add tomatoes and reserved marinade. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Serve over hot rice, garnished with cilantro.
- CURRY PASTE
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
In a spice or coffee mill grind spices and ginger until very-finely minced. Turn out into a bowl and stir in vinegar to make a smooth paste.
To make curry oil, mix half of paste with 1 cup vegetable oil.