Potato and Wild Mushroom Napoleons
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 ounces assorted wild mushrooms, such as chanterelle, wood ear, shiitake, morel, cleaned, stems removed, and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped thyme
- 2 teaspoons white truffle oil
- Potato Crisps, recipe follows
- 1/2 cup finely grated aged Asiago (about 2 ounces)
- 12 slices fresh black or white truffle, optional garnish
- Fresh arugula tossed with extra-virgin olive oil, as garnish
- Potato Crisps:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 large baking potatoes, like russets (about 1 pounds), peeled and sliced on a mandolin into 1/8-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon Essence, recipe follows
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
In a large, heavy skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, shallots, salt and pepper, and saute until soft and most of the mushroom liquid has evaporated, about 8 minutes. Add the chicken stock, cream and thyme, and simmer until the liquid has reduced by 50 percent in volume, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the truffle oil. Place 2 potato crisps on each of 4 serving plates. Spoon 1 generous tablespoon of mushroom filling on top, topped with 1 teaspoon of grated Asiago. Continue layering the napoleon so that you have 3 layers of potatoes and 3 layers of mushrooms in all, ending with mushrooms on top. Garnish the top of each napoleon with 3 slices of truffle, and sprinkle of Asiago. Arrange the arugula around the outer edge of the plate and serve.Potato Crisps:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Brush 2 large baking sheets well with oil. Arrange the potato slices in 1 layer on the sheets. Brush with the remaining oil, and bake until golden, 12 to 15 minutes, switching the sheets halfway through baking.
Transfer with a spatula to cooling racks. Sprinkle with the Essence and salt, and set aside.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from New New Orleans Cooking by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch, Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Wild Man Potato Skins, Wild Mushroom Soup with Arugula and Walnuts and Parmesan-Crusted Rolls with Herb Butter, Wild Mushroom Turnovers with Romano Cheese, Potato Soup Recipes, Appetizer Recipes , Mushroom Risotto Recipes, Tomato Side Dish Recipes, Spanish Rice Recipes, Side Dish Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.