- 1 large, baking potatoes, like russets, about (8 ounces)
- 1/2 medium onion, (about 4 ounces)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon dry thyme
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Oil for pan frying
- 1/3 cup applesauce, for garnish
Using a food processor or a box grater, grate the potato and onion on the large hole into a bowl. Using your hands, squeeze out the excess liquid and place the dry potato onion mixture in a bowl. Add the egg, parsley, flour, breadcrumbs, thyme, lemon juice and seasonings. Mix well. Heat 1/2 cup of oil in a heavy skillet. Add 1/2 cup mounds of potato mixture to the hot oil, and flatten down to a 3/4-inch thick pancake. Turn heat to medium. Cook for 5 minutes on each side, or until crispy and golden. Serve with the applesauce.
Recipe copyright 1996, Emeril Lagasse. All Rights Reserved.
Recipe courtesy of Geoffrey Zakarian