Pumpkin Custard Pie
- 1 recipe Basic Sweet Pie Crust, recipe follows
- 2 cups canned pumpkin puree
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup Steen's cane syrup
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus extra for dusting
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Whipped cream, for serving
- Basic Sweet Pie Crust:
- 8 ounces all-purpose flour, about 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
- 3 tablespoons ice water
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly dust a clean surface with flour.
Roll the pie dough to a thickness of 1/8-inch and, working carefully, fit the rolled dough into a 10-inch deep dish pie plate. Either crimp the edges decoratively or trim the pastry so that it is even with the edge of the pie plate. Decorate the edge with leaf shapes cut from excess pastry dough, if desired. Refrigerate the shell for at least 30 minutes and up to overnight before proceeding.
In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Mix until well blended. Pour into the chilled pastry shell. Bake until the custard is set and the crust is lightly golden, 50 to 60 minutes. Let the pie cool completely before serving.
Serve with whipped cream and dust with cinnamon.Basic Sweet Pie Crust:
Sift the flour, sugar, and salt into a large bowl. Using your fingers, work in the butter and shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add 2 tablespoons of ice water and work with your fingers until the water is incorporated and the dough comes together. Add more water, as needed, to make a smooth dough, being careful not to over-mix. Form the dough into a disk, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using.
Yield: 1 pie crust
Thank you! your flag was submitted.