For the crust:
- 1/2 cup roasted pumpkin seeds, shelled
- 1/2 cup roasted pistachio seeds, shelled
- 1/2 cup roasted pine nuts
- 2/3 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus 4 tablespoons for sauteing
- 2 tablespoons Essence, recipe follows
- 4 (10 ounce) double cut pork chops
- 1/2 cup melted chocolate
- 2 cups julienned sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons red peppers, diced
- 2 tablespoons yellow peppers, diced
- 1 tablespoon Essence
Preheat the grill. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
For the crust: In a food processor combine all the ingredients until the crust is mealy and fully incorporated. Turn the crust into a mixing bowl.
For the chops: Season each chop with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and Essence. Place on the grill. Grill on each side for 2 minutes. The chops are being grilled for searing and marking only, not to cook them. Allow the chops to cool completely.
Rub each chop with the melted chocolate and cover with the nut crust, covering the entire chop completely. In a saute pan, heat the remaining olive oil. When the pan is smoking hot, add the chops. Sear on one side for 3 minutes. Turn the chops over and place in the oven. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes for medium. In a deep fryer, cook julienned sweet potatoes until crispy and golden, about 1 minute. Set aside for garnish
Chocolate and roasted poblano sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup roasted poblanos, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Essence, recipe follows
- 3 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup melted semisweet chocolate
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
In a sauce pan, heat the olive oil. When the oil is hot, saute the poblanos, onions, shallots, and garlic, for 2 to 3 minutes. Season with Essence. Stir in the stock, bring to a boil and cook over high heat for 15 minutes. Whisk in the chocolate and cream, continue simmering for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and puree in a blender. Return sauce to the heat and season with salt and pepper.
To plate: Spoon the sauce on the bottom of the plate. Place the julienned sweet potato in the center of the sauce. Lay the chops against the potatoes with their bones crossing. Garnish with green onions, red and yellow peppers.
Yield: 2 cups
Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yields: about 2/3 cup