Quick and Easy Stewed Okra
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen sliced okra, or 1 pound fresh okra, stems trimmed and sliced
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Essence, recipe follows
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Special equipment: pressure cooker
Combine all ingredients in a pressure cooker and bring to a simmer over high heat. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes. Uncover and stir well. Cover the pot again and continue to cook at medium-low heat for 5 to 10 minutes longer, or until the vegetables are just tender.
Note: This dish is even better if made a day in advance or if left to sit awhile after cooking to allow the flavors to blend.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.