- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3 large egg yolks
- 4 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
- 2 teaspoons kirsch or brandy
- 1 (10-inch) pastry crust, fully baked in a tart pan with a removable bottom, recipe follows
- 1 to 1 1/2 pints fresh raspberries
In a medium bowl, mix the sugar and flour. Add the egg yolks and beat until pale yellow and frothy. Whisking constantly, add 1/3 cup of the hot milk to the egg mixture, then beat back into the hot milk. Return to medium heat, and whisking constantly, cook until thick, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean bowl, and discard the vanilla bean. Stir in the butter. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down against the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until cool, about 2 hours.
Wine Pairing: Banfi Brachetto d' Aqui, Italy
Basic Sweet Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces (1 stick) cold butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
- 2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
Sift the flour, sugar, and salt into a large bowl. Using your fingers, work in the butter and shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add 2 tablespoons of ice water and work with your fingers until the water is incorporated and the dough comes together. Add more water as needed to make a smooth dough, being careful not to over-mix. Form the dough into a disk, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and let rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to fit into a 10-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Press the dough into the pan and cut until trim with the edges. Line with parchment pastry and pie weights or dry beans, and bake until set, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove the paper and weights and bake until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack until ready to fill.