Rigatoni with Beefy Mushroom Gorgonzola Sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 (1 1/4-inch) thick sirloin or rib-eye steak, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 24 ounces)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, stem ends trimmed and sliced
- 1/3 cup minced shallots
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 5 to 6 ounces Gorgonzola, crumbled
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound rigatoni, cooked al dente, drained, 1/2 cup cooking liquid reserved
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon snipped chives
In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over high heat. When hot, add the butter. When the butter begins to sizzle, add the beef and season with 3/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the beef using a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate. Set aside. Add the mushrooms, the remaining salt and the pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are softened and their liquid has evaporated. Add the shallots, garlic, rosemary and thyme and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the wine and cook until nearly completely reduced. Sprinkle with the flour and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute. Add the broth and cook, stirring to release any browned bits on the bottom of the pan, and cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add the cheese and cream to the pan and cook until the cheese is melted and the sauce is creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the rigatoni and enough of the reserved cooking liquid to thin the sauce and cook just until heated through and creamy. Return the beef to the pan and stir to combine.
Serve immediately, sprinkled with the parsley and chives, for garnish.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.