Roasted Beet and Smoked Sturgeon Salad with Vodka Vinaigrette
- 2 pounds fresh beets, washed, and tops and stems trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons vodka
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 pound boneless smoked sturgeon, flaked into bite-sized pieces
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and julienned
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In a bowl, toss the beets with the oil. Place on a roasting pan and bake until cooked through but still firm, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and cool. When cool enough to handle, peel and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices.
In a bowl, whisk together the shallots, red wine vinegar, vodka, olive oil, honey, salt, black pepper, and fresh dill. Add smoked sturgeon, apple, and beets and toss briefly just to combine. Serve on top of field greens.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2001