Roasted Corn Salsa with Tequila-Lime Dressing
- 5 medium ears yellow corn, silk removed, husk intact.
- 5 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, preferably homemade
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup diced green onions
- 1/2 Serrano pepper, finely chopped (seeds included)
- 1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 avocado, sliced, for garnish
- Tortilla chips, for garnish
Preheat a grill to medium-high.
Soak corn in water for 5 minutes, drain and pat dry.
Lightly rub each ear of corn with 1 teaspoon of the oil and place the corn directly on the grill. Grill the corn, turning occasionally, until the kernels are lightly browned on all sides, about 20 minutes. Remove and set aside until cool. When the ears have cooled, cut the kernels from the cobs and transfer to a mixing bowl.
In a separate small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, tequila, lime juice, garlic, salt, and pepper. Pour the mayonnaise-tequila dressing over the cooled corn kernels. Stir in the green onions, diced serrano pepper, red bell pepper, and cilantro. Adjust seasonings, as needed. Cover and chill for 1 hour.