- 1 (5 to 5 1/2 pound) pork butt, bone in, untrimmed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup canned chopped green chilies
- 1/2 pound queso Fresco cheese or any meltable white cheese, such as Monterey Jack
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Season the pork with salt and pepper. Place in a medium roasting pan and add 1/2 cup of water. Place in the oven and roast for 1 hour. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees F and continue to cook for 3 hours. Remove from the oven and cool completely. In a large saute pan, over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until the onions are caramelized, about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and cool completely. When the pork is cool, remove any excess fat and the bone. Shred the meat into bite-size pieces. In a mixing bowl, combine the pork, onions, chilies and cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.