- Roasted Pork and Caramelized Onion filling, recipe follows
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 12 flour tortillas
- Corn and Goat Queso, recipe follows
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- 2 medium avocados, peeled and diced
- 1 ear sweet corn, fire roasted and kernels removed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
When you've completed the Roast Pork, preheat oil in a deep fryer.
Fill each flour tortilla with 1/4 cup of the filling. Fold the sides in and roll the tortilla up. Secure each tortilla with 2 toothpicks. Fry a couple of the chimichangas at a time until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with salt.
To serve, place each chimichanga on a serving plate. Spoon some of the Corn and Goat Cheese Queso over the top. Garnish with a dollop of cream fraiche, avocados, fire roasted corn kernels, and parsley.
Roasted Pork and Caramelized Onion Filling:
- 1 (5 to 5 1/2 pound) pork butt, bone in, untrimmed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup canned chopped green chilies
- 1/2 pound queso Fresco cheese or any meltable white cheese, such as Monterey Jack
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Season the pork with salt and pepper. Place in a medium roasting pan and add 1/2 cup of water. Place in the oven and roast for 1 hour. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees F and continue to cook for 3 hours. Remove from the oven and cool completely. In a large saute pan, over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until the onions are caramelized, about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and cool completely. When the pork is cool, remove any excess fat and the bone. Shred the meat into bite-size pieces. In a mixing bowl, combine the pork, onions, chilies and cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
Yield: about 3 1/2 cups
Corn and Goat Queso:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 4 cups fresh sweet corn kernels, from 2 medium-size ears
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 medium-size fresh jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1 pound goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup heavy cream
In a medium size saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion, corn, salt and cayenne and cook, stirring, for about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and jalapeno, stir to mix, and cook for 2 minutes. Add the cheese and cream and stir until the cheese melts completely. Reseason if necessary. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Yield: about 4 1/2 cups
Recipe from Everyday Is A Party Cookbook, by Emeril Lagasse, with Marcelle Bienvenu and Felicia Willett, published by William Morrow, 1999