Roasted Pork Enchiladas
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup Salsa Verde
- Salt and pepper
- 1 recipe Roasted Pork and Caramelized Onion filling, recipe follows
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound queso Fresco cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Roasted Pork and Caramelized Onion Filling:
- 1 (5 to 5 1/2 pound) pork butt, bone in, untrimmed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup canned chopped green chilies
- 1/2 pound queso Fresco cheese or any meltable white cheese, such as Monterey Jack
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a large rectangle oven-proof pan with the oil.
In a mixing bowl, combine the chicken stock, sour cream and salsa. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Spread 1 cup of the mixture over the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread 1/4 cup of the filling over 1/4 of each tortilla. Roll the tortillas up firmly. Place the tortillas, seam side down, next to each other in the prepared pan. Spread the remaining sour cream mixture over the rolled tortillas. Cover the pan with parchment paper and aluminum foil. Place in the oven and cook for 10 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool slightly before serving.Roasted Pork and Caramelized Onion Filling:
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Season the pork with salt and pepper. Place in a medium roasting pan and add 1/2 cup of water. Place in the oven and roast for 1 hour. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees F and continue to cook for 3 hours. Remove from the oven and cool completely. In a large saute pan, over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until the onions are caramelized, about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and cool completely. When the pork is cool, remove any excess fat and the bone. Shred the meat into bite-size pieces. In a mixing bowl, combine the pork, onions, chilies and cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
Yield: about 3 1/2 cups
Thank you! your flag was submitted.