Salsify, Celery Root, and Fennel Slaw with Crispy Fish and Parsnip Mashed Potatoes
- For Slaw:
- 1/4 cup chopped raw apple smoked bacon
- 1/2 cup salsify, julienned and blanched
- 1/2 cup celery root, julienned and blanched
- 1/2 cup fennel, julienned and blanched
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped chervil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 (6-ounce) red snapper fillets
- 1/2 cup flour, seasoned with 1 tablespoon Essence
- Olive oil for frying
- 1 cup parsnip cream potatoes
- 8 fried parsnip strips
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
For the slaw: In a saute pan, when the pan is smoking hot, render the bacon until crispy. Add the salsify, celery root and fennel. Saute for 1 minute, just to warm and remove. In a mixing bowl combine all the remaining ingredients with the Sauteed vegetables. Toss to incorporate and season with salt and pepper.
For the fish: In a saute pan, heat the olive oil. Dredge the fish in the seasoned flour, lightly coating each side. When the oil is smoking hot, place the fish carefully in the hot oil. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Flip the fish over and continue sauteeing for an additional 2 to 3 minutes or until golden and crispy. Remove the fish and place on a paper-lined plate, to remove any excess oil.
To assemble: Spoon the potatoes in the center of the platter. Place the fish directly on top of the potatoes. Mound the slaw on top of the fish. Garnish with the fried parsnips around the edge of the plate and sprinkle with the chives.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.