Salt Cod Croquettes
- 1/2 pound skinned and boned dried salt cod
- 1 pound medium potatoes, scrubbed, peeled and quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped chives leaves, plus more, for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup instant flour (recommended: Wondra)
- Allioli Amb Ous, for serving, recipe follows
- Allioli Amb Ous:
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked pimenton
Soak the cod in cold water to cover for 24 to 36 hours, refrigerated, changing the water occasionally. Drain. In a medium saucepan add the cod and cover with water by 1-inch, in a separate saucepan add the potatoes and cover with water. Simmer for about 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and the cod is flakey. Drain and cool the cod and the potatoes. Pass the potatoes through a ricer into a bowl. Using your fingers or a fork crumble the cod, removing any bones. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cod, the potato, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper, to taste, and egg yolks. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
Preheat the fryer.
Use 2 tablespoons of the mixture to form a cake or a ball; coat with the instant flour and set aside while making the remaining croquettes. Fry in batches until golden brown about 3 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve the croquettes on a platter with the Aioli. Garnish with parsley.Allioli Amb Ous:
Yield: 1 1/2 cups
Thank you! your flag was submitted.