- 1/2 cup oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon finely-minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon chili oil
- 2 tablespoons thinly-shaved scallions, plus extra for garnish
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 egg whites
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup coarsely cracked black pepper
- 1 pound large shrimp, shell-on, split down back and deveined
Slowly heat oil in a wok or large skillet.
In a small bowl combine next 5 ingredients for sauce.
In 3 bowls, combine flour and cornstarch in first; beat egg whites with a fork until loose in second; mix salt and pepper in third. Dip shrimp first in flour mixture, shaking off excess; dip in egg whites, allowing excess to drip off. Lightly roll in salt mixture and add immediately to hot oil. Fry on all sides, remove and drain on paper towels.
Serve with sauce, garnished with extra scallions.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse