- 2 cups sambal oelek (Indonesian-style chile sauce)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 1/4 cup minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 3 pounds head-on shrimp (less than 10 per pound), peeled and deveined, head and tail segments left intact
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh mint
In a medium bowl, combine the sambal, sugar, lime juice, olive oil, garlic, ginger, mirin, fish sauce and sesame oil and whisk well. Let stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
Place the shrimp and all but 1/2 cup of the marinade in a 1-gallon resealable plastic food storage bag. Reserve the remaining marinade. Let the shrimp marinate 1 hour.
Place the shrimp in a large bowl and add the reserved 1/2 cup marinade along with the cilantro and mint. Toss well to combine. Transfer the shrimp to a large serving bowl or platter and serve immediately.
Photograph by Andrew Mccaul