Sam's Beef Stew
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 4 cups dark veal or meat stock
- 1 large Idaho potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
In a large skillet, over medium heat, add the vegetable oil. Season the beef with salt and pepper. Toss the beef with the flour. When the oil is hot, add the meat and cook until the meat is browned, about 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the onions, celery and 1 tablespoon of garlic and continue to cook until the vegetables are wilted and golden about six minutes. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Deglaze the pan with the stock, scraping the browned particles away from the pan. Add the potatoes and carrots. Bring the liquid to a boil and reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the meat is very tender. Stirring occasionally. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of minced garlic. Reseason the stew if necessary.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.