Sausage, Onion and Bell Pepper Brochettes with Grilled Kicked Up Polenta Squares
- 2 pounds assorted sausages, such as Kielbasa, Linguica, Spicy Italian, or Bratwurst, cut into 2-inch slices
- 2 red bell peppers, stems and seeds removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 green bell peppers, stems and seeds removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium yellow onions, peeled and cut into 8ths
- 10 to 12 inch-long wooden skewers soaked in water for 30 minutes
- Polenta Squares, recipe follows
- KICKED UP POLENTA SQUARES:
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup polenta
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup grated Fontina or Monterey Jack
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
Preheat a gas or charcoal grill. Thread the sausages, red and green bell pepper pieces, and onions alternately onto the skewers. Grill the brochettes until the sausage is cooked through and the vegetables are lightly charred, turning occasionally, about 8 to 12 minutes. Meanwhile, place the polenta squares on the grill and cook until warmed through and marked by the grill, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Remove the brochettes and grilled polenta from the grill. With the prongs of a fork, slide the sausages and vegetables from the skewers and serve on top of the grilled polenta squares.KICKED UP POLENTA SQUARES:
In a heavy medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil over high heat. Stir the polenta and salt into the water, lower the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, stirring from time to time. Cook until the polenta is cooked through and thickens, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheese and jalapenos until smooth. Pour the polenta into a lightly oiled, shallow baking dish. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 6 hours and up to 2 days in advance.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.