Sausage, Sage and Chestnut Dressing
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 stalks celery, small dice
- 2 medium yellow onions, small dice
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet fennel sausage, casing removed
- 3 tablespoons chiffonade fresh sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 3/4 to 1 pound roasted chestnuts, peeled and roughly chopped
- 6 cups bread cubes, lightly toasted (Tuscan bread with the crust removed)
- 1 1/2 cups turkey stock or chicken stock, or as needed to soften the bread
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 9 by 11-inch baking dish; set aside.
In a large skillet, melt 6 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the celery and onions, cook until almost translucent. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add the sausage, stirring frequently and browning on all sides about 6 minutes. Stir in the sage, thyme, chestnuts and cubed bread. Combine the stock and the heavy cream and season lightly with the salt and pepper. Add the liquid, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring gently to combine. You may need to add a bit more stock, depending on the bread that you use, to achieve the desired consistency. Arrange the stuffing in the baking dish, cut the remaining butter into small pieces, put on top of the dressing. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes. If the top gets too brown, cover with aluminum foil.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.