Sauteed Plantains in Caramel Sauce
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 very ripe plantains, peeled and sliced on the diagonal into 1/3-inch rounds
- 8 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- Chopped walnuts, for garnish
- Vanilla ice cream for serving, optional
In a large skillet, melt the butter and cook the plantain slices until golden brown on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
Add the sugar and cinnamon to the skillet and cook, stirring, until the sugar is melted and bubbly, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the rum, stir to combine, and cook until the sauce is thick and smooth, 2 to 3 minutes.
Serve the plantains in small bowls with the hot sauce drizzled over all. Garnish with the toasted walnuts and serve with vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2007