- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 very ripe plantains, peeled and sliced on the diagonal into 1/3-inch rounds
- 8 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- Chopped walnuts, for garnish
- Vanilla ice cream for serving, optional
In a large skillet, melt the butter and cook the plantain slices until golden brown on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
Add the sugar and cinnamon to the skillet and cook, stirring, until the sugar is melted and bubbly, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the rum, stir to combine, and cook until the sauce is thick and smooth, 2 to 3 minutes.