- 1/2 (17.3-ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced yellow onions
- 2 thin slices Meyer lemon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 pound sea scallops, foot removed
- 12 spears very thin asparagus, trimmed, steamed until tender, and chilled
- Truffle Vinaigrette, recipe follows
- 1 fresh black truffle or canned black truffle, approximately 1-inch in diameter, washed and very thinly sliced
- Meyer Lemon Creme Fraiche, recipe follows
- 2 ounces enoki mushrooms, rinsed well, wiped dry, and stems trimmed
- Chopped fresh chives, garnish
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry to a 1/8-inch-thickness, or thin enough to cut out 8 (4-inch) circles. Using a 4-inch round cutter dipped in flour, cut out 8 circles. Place on the prepared sheet, cover with a second piece of parchment paper and place a second baking sheet on top. Bake until cooked through and light golden brown, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
In a large saucepan, combine the water, wine, sliced onion, Meyer lemon slices, bay leaf, salt, and peppercorns. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes, allowing the flavors to infuse. Add the scallops, lower the heat to a simmer, and cover the pan. Gently poach until firm and just cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels. When cool enough to handle, slice in half crosswise (or into thirds, if very thick). Place the scallop slices on a plate, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use.
Arrange 3 asparagus spears each in the center of 4 plates and drizzle each lightly with truffle vinaigrette. Place one puff pastry round on each asparagus stack and arrange a circle of alternating scallop and truffle slices onto each round. Spoon Truffle Vinaigrette lightly over the scallops and truffles. Repeat with the remaining ingredients, ending with a scallops and truffles on top, topped by a spoonful of the Lemon Creme Fraiche. Spoon the remaining creme fraiche around the edges of the plates and arrange a small bundle of mushrooms on the side of each plate. Garnish each plate with chopped chives and serve.
1 1/2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
1 tablespoon minced shallots
1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
1 tablespoon white truffle oil, or to taste
Freshly ground white pepper
Yield: about 1/2 cup
Meyer Lemon Creme Fraiche:
1/2 cup creme fraiche
1 1/2 teaspoons Meyer lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated Meyer lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
In a small bowl, stir together all the ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Yield: 1/2 cup