- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 to 3 1/4 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 8 ounces Swiss cheese, grated
Place the cream in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper, and stir well. Add the potatoes, adding more cream if necessary to completely cover the potatoes. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer until the potatoes are barely fork tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the heat.
With a large spoon, transfer 1/3 of the potatoes with some of the cream to the prepared dish, forming an even layer on the bottom. Top with 1/3 of the cheese, and continue layering the potatoes and cheese, ending with cheese on top. Place on a baking sheet and roast until golden brown and bubbly, about 30 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes. Serve hot.