- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 quarts shrimp or seafood stock
- 4 blue crabs, halved
- 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 pound fish fillets, such as redfish or another firm-fleshed fish, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 pint oysters, in their liquor
- Serving suggestion: cooked white rice
Immediately add onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic, and bay leaves and cook until vegetables are very soft, about 8 minutes. Add stock and whisk to combine. Bring to a boil, skim surface, and reduce heat to a simmer. Add crabs and cook for 1 1/2 hours, until thickened and flavorful. If gumbo seems too thick, thin with water or seafood stock.
Add shrimp and fish and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until shrimp turn pink and fish is cooked through. Add oysters (with their liquor), parsley, and green onions, and cook until edges of oysters curl, about 5 to7 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary, and serve in large bowls over hot white rice.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.