Seared Foie Gras with Pain Perdu and a Fresh Cranberry Compote
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Pinch freshly ground cinnamon
- 8 slices French bread, cut diagonally and 1/2-inch thick
- 1/4 cup clarified butter
- 1 lobe grade-A foie gras, cleaned
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 recipe Cranberry Compote, recipe above
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
In a shallow baking pan, beat the eggs with cream and cinnamon. Season with salt. Dip each piece of bread into egg mixture, allowing each piece to sit in the liquid for a couple of minutes.
In a large saute pan, melt the butter. Pan-fry the bread until golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes. With a warm knife, slice the foie gras, diagonally, into 1-inch pieces. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
Heat a large saute pan, over medium heat. Add the foie gras and sear for 1 minute on the first side and 2 minutes on the second side. Remove and drain on paper towels.
Add the compote to the foie gras fat.
To assemble, place a piece of the pain perdu in the center of each serving plate. Lay a piece of foie gras over the bread. Spoon some of the Cranberry Compote over the foie gras. Garnish with parsley.