- 1 (1 1/4 pound) lobe Grade-A duck or goose foie gras, veins and impurities removed, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch thick slices
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon clarified butter or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 16ths
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup Armagnac
- 16 slices brioche or other egg bread, toasted
Lightly season both sides of the sliced foie gras with salt and pepper.
Heat the clarified butter in a large non-stick skillet over moderately high heat, but not smoking. Sear the foie gras in batches, about 45 seconds per side. Remove from the pan and cover to keep warm.
To the fat remaining in the pan, add the shallots, apples, and nutmeg, and cook, stirring, until caramelized and tender, about 7 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and add the Armagnac. Return to the heat and cook until the brandy is nearly all evaporated, about 2 minutes.